Oct 10, 2011

A Youngster's Energy

I confess. I'm a blog-aholic. No, not writing blogs. READING them. I can't get enough to be honest. I subscribe to over thirty of them and read them every day.

As I was indulging in this addiction of mine, I read Friendly Atheist's new blog post about Christopher Hitchens (author of God is Not Great).  He had spoken at an Atheist Alliance of America conference where something fascinating happened.


Though he was asked a variety of questions from the audience, none appeared to elicit more interest than the one asked by eight-year-old Mason Crumpacker, who wanted to know what books she should read. In response, Hitchens first asked where her mother was and the girl indicated that she was siting beside her. He then asked to see them once the presentation was over so that he could give her a list.
As the event drew to a close, Mason and her mom, Anne Crumpacker of Dallas, followed him out. Surrounded by attendees wanting a glance of the famed author, Hitchens sat on a table just outside of the ballroom and spent about 15 minutes recommending books to Mason.
At first when I read this I thought: "Oh, how cute. That little girl must've been thrilled."

Then I started to think about it. "Um, she's eight years old. And she's attending a conference about atheism where she is most likely one of the youngest attendees and asking questions about how she can get more knowledge."

Whoa.

Hitchens saw what an opportunity this was and took time out of his schedule to recommend some good reads to the tot. This little girl has a passion for defending her beliefs (or non-beliefs, if you will) and is looking for more information.

I wonder...what if we don't give kids enough credit?

I posted a two-part blog called "The Incomplete Journey" where I wrote about how as a kid I was completely enamored with God and Christianity. I wanted to learn as much as possible. I asked my dad questions after church and read my bible like a crazy person. I even asked my senior pastor if I could preach one Sunday! I had an amazing energy for God.

I have a bulletin board in my room that I stick stuff on - articles, photos, and bible verses that I find interesting. On the left side is an article by Alex and Brett Harris (authors of Do Hard Things). You can read it here. No, seriously. Read it. It's better than anything I can write here.

When Jesus said "Let the little children come to me" I think He showed something that we tend to overlook. Even though children/youth are still growing - they are learning and asking questions and applying what they learn. What if we stopped looking at children's ministry and youth ministry as entertainment and made it a place to grow?

We youngsters have energy. There's no doubting it. Now we gotta channel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment