May 22, 2012

BREAKING BREAD #1: Eating Goat Cheese with an Atheist

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm doing my very first blog series! Breaking Bread is going to be compiled of interviews with people I know who have different religions/faiths/beliefs other than Christian. I think Christians in general stay inside a little bubble of people who agree with their beliefs. They tend not to listen to to how other people arrived at their beliefs. This series is basically just listening to (not arguing or debating) other people's views. I'm so excited about this and hope to find a lot of people who want to talk about their beliefs!

For my first post, I am exceptionally proud to be interviewing my dear bestie, Rose Brown. She and I have been friends for over a year but she's a huge part of my life. She loves Queen, cats, reading, board games, shopping, and is getting a degree in art history. She's also an atheist and that's what she is going to be talking about today.

Rose, how would you describe your religious (or nonreligious) belief?
There’s this common misconception that there are 3 basic types of religious viewpoints, which look like this:

The general idea is that you can plot yourself on this chart in order to indicate the stage you’re at, or the stages that you are in between. However, when you take all the possibilities into account, the chart looks more like this:
Gnostic means certainty, where as agnostic means lack of certainty, or lack of knowledge. Theism means belief in a god, where as atheism means lack of belief in a god. You can use this chart to match up your levels of gnosticism and theism in order to show exactly where you stand. If I had to plot myself on this chart, I’d be in the bottom right corner. I’m an agnostic atheist, meaning that I believe very, very strongly that God doesn’t exist, but I acknowledge that there really isn’t any way to prove God’s non-existence. (In the same way that I can’t prove that Will Smith isn’t the reincarnation of Voltaire, or that there isn’t a fourth season of Arrested Development that only Barack Obama knows about. Not being able to prove that these things aren’t real doesn’t make them any more probable.)
Most atheists probably fit into the agnostic atheism bracket, since it fits so well with scientific reasoning, so they’ll very rarely go out of their way to identify themselves this way. But I try to make it clear that I’m an agnostic atheist because I think it sounds a bit less frightening. People can be very quick to judge someone by their religious beliefs, especially when it comes to something as drastic as atheism, which has some pretty scary connotations attached to it. But by saying that I’m an agnostic atheist, I make myself sound a little less daunting and scary to someone who thinks that atheists are bad people. By using a term that a lot of people aren’t familiar with, I also try to make people curious enough to ask me what agnostic atheism means, initiate religion discussion, and clear up any negative ideas they might have about my lot.
What was your journey to becoming an atheist?
This is a really difficult question for me to answer, because I became an atheist very slowly, over a long period of time. I was raised in a very devout Christian family, but I think the first bits of doubt appeared 3 or 4 years ago, when I was in grades 10 and 11. It was around this time that I had a massive epiphany. I believed in God, I was more than happy to worship and pray to him, and definitely feared of him, just like the bible said I should. But I didn’t love him, which made me feel alienated in the Christian community. While people at church were calling out Jesus’ name in the middle of a prayer, or while kids at bible camp were sobbing on the floor as they worshiped God, I remained utterly stoic.
There was a part of me that was terrified at this tiny flaw in my otherwise perfect religious life. What did this mean for my future with the church? A life without religion seemed frightening, like the idea of stepping away from the edge of a cliff and plunging into a dark abyss. But there was another part of me that was curious. Why didn’t I love God? So after this had been going on for a while, I couldn’t help but try to figure out why I wasn’t the perfect Christian that my upbringing had taught me to be. And when I finally let myself question my love for God, the answer to my question appeared.
I didn’t love God because of Christianity. Throughout history, Christianity has been responsible for some of the most horrible monstrosities to have ever taken place. The Crusades. The Inquisition. Westboro. I felt disgusted by these things, and wanted nothing to do with them. And once I accepted this, I realized that I wanted nothing to do with God either. I suddenly saw God as this furious tyrant, ready to lash out at anyone who dared to defy him, and felt that I had been right to fear him. And, following the same logic as before, the realization that I thought this terrified me. So I stashed these feelings away, and continued to go to church, pray, and be a Christian, all the while hoping that I wouldn’t be found out. But this repulsion continued to boil away beneath the surface, and it was obvious that I’d have to face it sooner or later.
Enough time passed for me to contemplate God a little more. Now that I’d opened the floodgates, everything was starting to disappear. First had been my love for God, then my respect for Christianity, and now I was losing my belief. Looking back, it was the best thing I’ve ever done, but at the time I was unbelievably scared. If you tell someone, for their entire life, that not loving God, that thinking nasty things about religion, and that considering that people like Darwin might have been right will earn them a one-way ticket to hell, of course they’re going to be emotionally scarred when they finally start to feel that way.
But I fought against the fear, and I finally started to give in. I did a bit of research about Christianity. I pottered about the religion section of Yahoo Answers. (Something I do not recommend one bit. That entire website is just somewhere for the shallowest atheists to go to bully anyone with religious beliefs.) I googled ‘how to tell your parents you’re agnostic.’ Agnostic. Not atheist. If there was one thing I didn’t want to be, it was an atheist. The only atheist I’d ever known personally was a girl I knew in grade 8, but she’d also claimed to have been to hell during near-death experiences, and decorated her bedroom with black paint and chains. Not exactly the best of role models.
After 3 years of dodging the bullet, I realized that I’d have to tell my parents. I was about to go to university, and my dad kept talking about all the Christian clubs he wanted me to join. Finally, during a particularly emotional time in my life, I told my mum that I wasn’t a Christian. I said that I didn’t know what I was, but I didn’t want to continue going to church, and I didn’t want to hide my beliefs anymore. She told my dad, and it wasn’t really talked about anymore. For a while, I felt like I was walking on eggshells, but then I began to feel relieved. The worst of it-the emotional turmoil, the fear, the secrecy-was all over, and I was suddenly at this new part of my life where I could be who I wanted to be, not who God wanted me to be. I felt free. And, for the first time in my life, I felt genuinely happy.
And then, the best thing happened. I got online. I joined several communities, and started to look even deeper into who I was, and the sort of people I belonged to. That’s when I came across the idea of agnostic atheism, and suddenly what I believed had a name, and there were other people who felt the same way I did. And once agnostic atheism came into the picture, atheism itself seemed a lot less scary.
I can still remember the first day I said the A word. It was May 21st, 2011, and I was leaving the store where I worked. According to Harold Camping, I was going to be cast into a pit of fire that very afternoon for my heathen ways, but for the first time, I wasn’t scared one bit. I was buying a chocolate bar, which I was going to eat when Mr. Camping’s prediction didn’t come true. I was chatting to my supervisor, and telling her about the chocolate-fest I had planned, when she said, “Aren’t you religious?”
And I looked her square in the eyes and said, “No, my parents are, but I’m an atheist.” And then I went home and I ate my chocolate and I listened to We Are the Champions and I didn’t go to hell. (Although I did get a nasty shock when my Dad turned on the lawnmower at the exact moment of Camping’s supposed apocalypse.)
Would you say it was more of an emotional response, or logical?
It’s a bit of both, really. Like I said before, it all started with a lack of emotion, specifically love. That eventually turned into fear, but I feel like in the end it was logic that won out. I’m not saying that a theist can’t be logical, but it was researching theology and deciding for a fact that God didn’t exist that helped me beat the terror.
It’s definitely been emotional since then, but in a good way. Through atheism I’ve found a way of looking at the world in a way that gives me joy. Once I got over the idea that we’re alone in this universe, (I’m talking about God, by the way, not aliens. I’m pretty gnostic about extraterrestrial life.) it wasn’t half as scary as I thought it would be.
The fear was almost paralyzing near the start, though. Like I mentioned before, if you tell someone that not believing in God will result in them going to hell, they’re going to panic the moment they realize that they aren’t religious. It’s basic indoctrination, and it’s present in any part of life, but most of all in religion.
To this day, even though I don’t have any major problems with religion, the one thing I cannot stand is indoctrination. I went to church for the first time in months with my parents last Christmas. For most of it, I was okay. I really enjoyed singing Christmas carols, and even managed to grit my teeth and play ‘spot the logical fallacy’ during the sermon. But there was one part where I felt a little bit sick and, had I not been there with family and friends, probably would have left. It was the bit where children were brought up on to the stage to read aloud from the bible. I couldn’t help but think that raising children in this kind of environment, where you expect them to be devout and decide their religious preferences for them, cannot possibly be healthy. Sure, a lot of them are probably going to fantastic Christians, and lovely people. But a few of them will be like me. They’ll have been indoctrinated to believe that not loving God is a sin for which they’ll be punished, and when their beliefs finally start to slip away, they’re going to be absolutely terrified, and are going to feel totally alone. Losing my religion is the most painful thing that has ever happened to me, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
How have the people in your life reacted to that?
On the whole, it’s been much, much better than I thought it would be. My mum’s first reaction was that she and my dad had suspected that something was wrong. (Although she’d thought I was gay.) A little while later, after I’d moved out, I explained agnostic atheism to my dad, and he responded by lending me The God Delusion, which he’d bought in order to challenge his faith. I kept everything to myself while I was still home. I didn’t really tell any of my friends, until quite recently and people didn’t comment on the fact that I wasn’t going to church anymore. If religion came up, I changed the subject.
But then I went to university, and everything changed. I suddenly had a chance to start over, and was suddenly surrounded by people who were a lot more open minded than in my hometown. I had a philosophy lecture, where nearly every single student was an atheist. I still remember the outrage when we studied the Ontological Argument. It was absolutely insane.
Funnily enough, I didn’t become friends with any other atheists. I think a lot of people my age aren’t very strongly convicted, so even people who were religious weren’t very loud about it. If anything, university is a chance for people to get away from their religious families for a while, and figure out who they are.
There were a few religious people there, however, and I ended becoming friends with some of them. While they were talking about their churches or synagogues, or how their religion made them feel about something, I’d respond with “I’m an atheist, so I think [insert statement here]. This is when things stopped being freaky, and just got hilarious. I’d watch them out of the corner of my eye, and see them turn quickly towards me, as if they thought I was going to grow devil’s horns and tackle them to the ground.
But once I made them realize that I was a nice atheist, everyone was okay with it. Not just most people. Everyone. I eventually started a philosophy study group with two girls-one Catholic, one Jewish. We’d start off chatting about Kant or Bentham or whoever, but we’d always end up talking about religion. And you know what? Apart from the obvious stuff, like abortion or the existence of heaven, we had pretty much the same opinions. It made me realize that sometimes, religion doesn’t shape who you are. Some people are jerks, and some people are cool. Whether or not you’re religious doesn’t have as much to do with it as a lot of people think.
How has atheism changed your everyday views?
Atheism isn’t the only part of me. I think that’s a very important thing to remember. There is a bit of a trend in humanity (encouraged by both theists and atheists) to look at someone only through a religious scope. So I think it’s important to remember that any changes to my everyday views are due to my development as a person, not just as an atheist.
But of course atheism’s contributed to my views. It would be hard for it not to. Obviously, I now believe in evolution, and don’t believe that there’s such thing as God’s ‘chosen people’. I don’t see any human as superior to another, because any biblical premise that would have made me think that in the past is now completely invalid in my eyes.
I think the biggest changes haven’t been made by atheism directly, but by the communities that I’ve taken part in since becoming an atheist. Most atheists are quite liberal. They oppose bigotry and support same-sex marriage. They believe in the separation of the church and the state. They are typically pro-choice, pro-birth control and support feminism. And when you’re exposed to these sorts of people for lengthy periods, you can’t help but begin to agree with them.
I find that overall, the biggest change in my life has been open-mindedness. When I was a Christian, everything that didn’t fit into my idea of how the world should be was wrong. Islam. Atheism. Homosexuality. Prostitution. Abortion. Anyone who was different from me was inferior. And now that I’m no longer a Christian, things are completely different. It’s not that I now accept that atheists are the good guys. I feel much more open-minded in regards to everyone. I do not believe that creationists or pro-life advocates are subordinate. If someone is different than me, I now see them as an opportunity to learn about their viewpoints, and expand my knowledge of humanity.
I don’t think that any of this is to do with atheism itself. More than anything, I think it’s due to changing from one very radical view to another. It shakes up your entire world and, for a little bit, makes you feel like an outsider. Part of me thinks that everyone should have to go through this, just so you know what it’s like to be alienated.
What could theists and atheists be doing differently?
This.
Seriously, exactly what this series of blogs is doing. Interaction between religions is vital, and has been pretty much absent from up until now. I think that the world would benefit greatly if everyone just got off their high horses, and learned more about people with different beliefs than theirs. Since leaving Christianity, I’ve seen a lot of attempts to make a connection with other religions, and it’s given me a lot of hope. But there needs to be more.
I think that even chatting with one person who has different beliefs than you is very healthy for your own beliefs, because it makes you doubt them. If you can acknowledge your doubt, and then rebuild the foundation of your belief despite it, your faith will turn out much stronger, and you’ll probably learn a little bit more about it in the process.
What would you recommend for someone who wants to know more about atheism?
It really depends. The best thing possible is to speak to like-minded people. If you’re in say, a university town, great! Track down the nearest philosophy department and have a field day. But if you come from a predominantly Christian town like I am, the internet is your friend. I seriously don’t think I would be half as confident in my beliefs if I hadn’t had access to all the amazing atheist communities that I joined.
I’ve mentioned these sites a few times throughout this blog, and I think now’s a great time to name them. First off, the Friendly Atheist’s blog. (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/) This guy is fantastic. His name is Hemant Mehta, and he manages to post content that both promotes atheistic ideas, but also abstains from bashing religion. One of my favorite moments from his blog is when a church was vandalized by atheists, and he started a fund to help repair the damage. All the atheists who followed his blog raised thousands of dollars.
Another fantastic site that I found very helpful at the start is Think Atheist. (http://www.thinkatheist.com/) This site is a combination of blogs and forums, and has a great mix of humor, theology, philosophy, and advice. It’s a great spot to go to for support. It’s golden moment is from a year or two ago. A Christian woman created an account, and asked for help dealing with her best friend, who had just come out as an atheist. She wanted to know how to make her friend feel loved, and make sure religion didn’t get in the way of their friendship. The response was overwhelming. Every person who commented was unbelievably nice, and didn’t once chide her for her beliefs. If you’re thinking of becoming an atheist, I think that these are the sorts of people you need to surround yourself with.
At the moment, the community that I’m most involved with the the atheist subreddit. (http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/) I feel really comfortable there, because everyone is very open-minded and friendly. There is a bit of a same-sex marriage/pro-choice agenda, but the result of this is a community free from any bigotry or hatred. I wouldn’t advise diving into a site like this until you know a bit more about atheism, since it isn’t as informative as the other sites.
I think that above all, the best thing to do is research. The fact that we’ve got the internet at our fingertips is fantastic for anyone who is curious about atheism. Look up whatever you need to, and don’t think for a second that researching this kind of thing means you’ll end up being an atheist. If you end up needing it, FightingAtheist has a fantastic video on how to tell your parents that you’re not religious. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXDy1gVcWCc) And above all, don’t be scared. Trust me, it’s going to turn out okay in the end.
What is your favourite food?
At the moment...goat’s cheese. I have no idea how I lasted this long without it in my life. I feel like my conversion from Christianity to atheism would have been a lot less rocky if goat’s cheese had been involved.
But failing that, you can never beat baked beans.

Thanks Rose for sharing!

If you or someone you know would like to be interviewed for this blog talking about their religion - please message me! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment