Jun 1, 2013

Home

Well, I have survived my first year of bible college. I haven't been stoned for heresy or dancing. Which is a pretty impressive feat.

So I'm back in the town I've grown up in, sitting in pants that are now a little snug with that lovely freshman fifteen I'm wearing, and typing up a blog post.

It all feels exceptionally normal and yet not really. Even though nothing has really changed, it feels like everything has. Little things like the gas station isn't there anymore, or my family uses butter instead of margarine. I wouldn't have even noticed if I had been here the whole time. And I've changed too. I drink coffee in the morning and I speak differently. I have different phrases that I use and have inside jokes that no one here understands. It's very confusing.

An issue that I continually stumble on when I talk about bible college is I call it 'home'. It really frustrated me and I kept correcting myself. The house my family lives in must be my home. A dormitory can't.

 So one day when I was taking a walk, I thought about it.

Maybe home is where my stuff is? 
No. That can't be it. My stuff is equally divided

Maybe where people I love are located?
No, still divided equally.

Maybe wherever I can access the internet?
Now you are just being silly.

Then it hit me. The common denominator in both college and my hometown was myself. I remembered this really great line from Doctor Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog: "Home is where the heart is, so your real home's in your chest!" I'm not saying that my home is myself. What I am saying is that home is a concept in my head.

Home is not a location. It's how I categorize a situation. If I feel safe or comfortable in an environment, then I label it "home". I feel comfortable in my house, at college, when I am praying, when I'm walking, or even when I'm watching Doctor Who. :)

This may seem very basic to you. But when I thought of it, it all made sense. I love that I have more than one home and that is very special.

I'm curious, how do you describe "home"?

No comments:

Post a Comment