Sep 3, 2011

Things Change, Baby

Every now and then, Facebook changes the layout or something on their site. It may be a new chat or new privacy settings. The first thing I see when I get on is people complaining about this new feature.

This irritates me.

I know that this isn't a place for me to announce every little dislike I have, but this irritates me for a specific reason.

We get far too comfortable with "normal".

What is normal? For me it's; being at my church, reading my blogs, hanging out with my friends, listening to music, and playing games with my little brother. This is what feels normal for me and it's comfortable.

However, normal HAS to change. My church has to do new sermons and new songs every Sunday. The blogs I read have to change their content. My friends and I have to talk about different things. I can't listen to one music album all my life; my music has to change. And my little brother has to mature into a man.

Our "normal" changes all the time and we are always being thrown into new things. Our comfort zone must continuously be extended to encompass our growing life. But far too often, we want to stay where we are.

The church I used to attend split when I was around 14. I yelled at God for a long time. It was so difficult to see my friends leaving our comfort zone. Then our youth pastor left. And another came and left. And another. And another. Every time, I would get so mad at God, because I felt like he was messing everything up!

Looking back, I can see that I learned a lot from each youth pastor that came to our church and I can see that God worked through this whole mess. And not just for me, but for so many people that attended that church.

After that, whenever something changes in my life, I recall yelling at God when something changed - only to surprised by something better.

Change is hard. But I know that whatever happens in my life, I need the change. Without it, I'm just stuck watching my life go by. And God has better plans for us than that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment