Sep 5, 2010

A Simple Prayer by a Simple Person

It is so hard to pray - to focus solely on God and bring what you have to Him. We are only small creatures with such limited attention spans. We need to lay ourselves down and want to want to know Him. May we be like Jesus and take the time to listen to the Father so we can be ready to do what He has called us to.


This poem is my attempt to show you what my prayers often look like, and maybe yours look like this too.



Focus
On Him
Concentrate
On His words
Why is this so hard?
Am I ADD
I wonder
Focus

Focus
It is so challenging
My mind wanders
Where it shouldn’t go
Do you understand God?
Or am I doing this
All wrong
Focus

Focus
Do you
Have more in store
For this broken life
Than just frustrated
And empty prayers
I want to know
Focus

Focus
Relationship
Is where I want
To be with You
Wherever You lead me
Whether still waters
Or raging seas
Focus

God
You alone are my focus
Please change my selfish ways
I want to want You
Like I did
Back in the beginning
Help me regain my
Focus

I do not think God is looking for beautiful well-spoken prayers. If you look at the Psalms, King David "the man after God's own heart", is completely honest with God about his fear, anger, and when he feels God is distant. We are like children coming to their Father and saying "I am hungry Daddy. Please give me food." or in my case and maybe yours; "I want to be hungry Daddy. Please help me to be." No good father can refuse the cry of their hungry child. God loves us more than any earthly parent could love their child, and so we know that He listens when His child asks to know Him, to hear Him, or to be like Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment