Jul 22, 2010

For God So Loved Westboro Baptist Church

I started reading an article today that broke my heart. It was about a church called Westboro Baptist Church that has picketed funerals of American soldiers and those who are gay/lesbian. They have also picketed against Jewish institutions and other religions. This church is not affiliated with the Baptist denomination and are an independent church that has been defined as a hate group. When I see pictures of the signs they hold up (Thank God for 9/11, Jews Killed Jesus, God Hates Gays, and You're Going To Hell), I'm filled with anger. "How dare they do this?" "They call themselves Christians?" and gently I realized something.
I am one of them. I am a judgmental person who will at times be so self-righteous it makes me sick. The people of Westboro Baptist Church have only put to action some of my thoughts. It is hurtful and is NOT what Jesus called us to do. He called us to love people, ALL people - the hurting and the hurtful - not condemn them. So I can not condemn the Westboro Baptist Church, I love them, not what they do, but I love the people behind the name, the beautiful people behind the ugly hurtful signs. They have been made in God's image and they are broken - just like me - but they need love - just like me.
There is no "us and them" in God's eyes - we are all the same. We all need a hero to save us from ourselves. I have started to say this whenever I feel judgmental;

"For God so loved (insert person or people here) that He sent His one and only son to die for (insert person or people here), so that if (insert person or people here) believe(s) in Him, (insert person or people here) will never die but have eternal life." John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment