Aug 17, 2009

Little Children

Matthew 19:13-14

Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."


It feels like I've known this verse since I came out of the womb. I thought this verse was awesome when I was a kid. I felt very very special when I remembered this verse because the kingdom of God was made up of kids! When I got older, however, and decided to help out in the nursery, this truth became lost on me and transformed into "The kingdom of God is made up of these monsters?" Then one day I was with my Aunt in her church during worship and a friend of mine was holding a little two-year-old in her arms. During a song, this beautiful little baby lifted her hand in worship. I will never forget that, even when I'm old, I won't forget it. It was then that I found the truth found in this verse.

Matthew 21:15-16

"But when the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the wonderful things he did and the children shouting in the temple area, "Hosanna to the Son of David," they were indignant. "Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked him. "Yes," replied Jesus, "have you never read,"From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise?" (Psalm 8:2)"


There is such joy and innocence found in children. A child's smile is not a rarity, but it is a treasure. A child will trust in everyone. I love how little toddlers will run up to you and give you a great big hug unexpectedly. It's one of the best things in the world when a child knows you and loves you.

Matthew 18:6

"But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."


God loves the innocent so much that He will bring His wrath upon anyone who harms them. Woe to those who abuse, molest, trick, and take away the joy and innocence of these little children. A promise of God.

Matthew 18:2
"And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."


This week I'm volunteering at a Vacation Bible School in my city, and we asked the 40 children present to remember and repeat this at all the different stations during the day: "God's love shines through me." It was absolutely amazing to hear children say this. They said it so boldly and cheerfully, from the over-active JK-SK kids, to the more mature Grades 1-2. I wish I could become like a little child. Trust in God and not doubt in Him. Be confident in speaking to anyone and everyone who passes by.

Lord, that you would make me as innocent and as joyful as a child. So that I may be truly called a child of God. Mold me and make me into what You see fit. Thank You Jesus!

Love, Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment