Jun 17, 2009

The Christian Middle Finger

I was going to get a snack in the kitchen, when my brother called from the backyard window. Without even looking I held up my finger as if to say "One moment." Suddenly realizing how that might have appeared as if I was giving him the finger,I hurried back to the window, but he hadn't interpreted it that way. As I walked back to the kitchen (I was still a little hungry), I thought to myself, perhaps I gave him the Christian version of the finger.

You see, as a Christian and as a human, I often make myself busy with unimportant things and don't leave room for God or the people I know of, who could use some help. I often hold up my finger and say "One moment". I hate it when people do that to me. It makes me feel like I'm not as important as what they are doing. Of course sometimes it is necessary to stop the conversation (a fire, police start to chase you, or you are ordering a Hot Caramel Apple Spice!)

My point is that God must hate it when we do that to Him. "Oh, hold on God, I just got a text message." or "One moment God, I just want to grab some breakfast." I must have done that a bazillion times. In this way, you are giving God the finger.
My youth group has been challenged this week to spend 10 minutes every day just listening to God in absolute silence; no interruptions. IT IS HARD. But God really speaks through these times and it makes a difference in your day.

I would like to suggest that anyone who is reading this should for sure try it, even just for a few days. And avoid giving God the finger.

No comments:

Post a Comment